Sunday, March 29, 2009

Language Literacy

I can speak both Chinese and English. Chinese is my mother tongue, I learn it everywhere. However, as a second language, to learn English is harder than Chinese, since they have different type of writing; different style; even different grammar, and we only can learn it in the class. Even though learning English is very hard, I never complain about it. Because when we learning English, we are not only the language itself, but also another culture. After I learned English as a second for a while, I started to try to read some novels with English version. Even we have Chinese version for the same book, I still rather to read the English version, because it can show the story better, and there are always some tiny mistakes for Chinese version. As I said, when we learning and keeping practicing English, we are learning another culture as the same time. My father used to want read a lot of English novels when he was young, but at that time, China was doing the culture revolution, all the English storybooks, fiction, or even dictionaries are “bad things” which makes him to lose a great interest. “We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for our future” said by the one of the most successful presidents in United State, Franklin Roosevelt. My father did exactly the same thing like Roosevelt said, so he let me read more English books to know more about the world. Since now we can find English books in all the bookstores, and that helps me a lot when I was in China for learning another culture.
To learn both the language itself and the culture, that is what I learn from learning another language.

No comments:

Post a Comment